Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

WIPs

I have been busy this week trying to finish an afghan and also a sweater.  In other words my Works In Progress.  I almost always have at least two going at once because if it is a large project like an afghan I tend to get burnt out on it if I don't set it aside and pick up something else for a few hours.  Usually I mix a crochet project with a knitting project to break up the hand movements that can sometime get painful if I work too long at one thing.  I find that crocheting will get to my hands quicker than knitting.  With knitting it gets to my shoulders and neck quicker.  Such is life in the older years.  I just praise the Lord that I can still see well enough to do the things I love. 

My afghan I am making with just the simple granny square rectangle that just keeps getting larger and larger.  I am using the Red Heart Super Saver yarns in coffee. burgundy, gold and buff colors.

The colors aren't that good in this picture but I promise when I finish it I will take a better picture for you.  I am probably 3/4 of the way finished with it.  In fact I wasn't going to make it much bigger but when I laid it over myself in the recliner my feet stuck out, lol, so I have to make it longer, which in turn makes it wider. 

My feet are always cold, even in the summer I will wear my hand knit wool socks.  But that is a whole other topic that I will post on and share a pattern or two with you at a later. 

My other WIP is my sweater.  I am using an Ella Rae Phoenix Sweater pattern by Knitting Fever .  I am using Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Lt. Blue.  The main needle size is US 9 and is going really fast even with the bobbles.
  
                                           
I use circular needles whether I am knitting in the round or not, it is just easier for me and travels better when you don't have to worry about your needles poking out of your bag.

It may seem like the only yarn I use is Red Heart, but not true.  I have in the past used lots of different yarns and really enjoy the different types.  My whole reason for starting these two projects was to use up some yarn in my stash.  I was trying to not buy anymore yarn till I got some of the stash used down.  Of course the afghan is taking more of the brown than I had so had to buy more of that.  I had made baby blankets for twin boys with the blue and ended up with enough of it left to make the whole sweater without buying more though.

Yarn is not as easy to find in FL as it is up north and I have a double whammy because I live out in the woods and not close to any city and only one specialty yarn shop in the Ocala area that I have come across. I have seen ads for one in Gainesville and also Lady Lake but haven't gotten to them yet.  I have succumbed to buying yarn online, but it takes a lot of the joy out of the touching and feeling and judging color.  I haven't been too disappointed though with what I have gotten online.  I can only think of one time I thought the yarn was not what it should have been.  That was the yarn that came in the Alligator Scarf Kit that is mentioned in a previous post.  I did love love love that pattern though.  And so did the grandkids!  I ended up making 5 or 6 that year and sent them all for Christmas.  I used camoflauge (Red Heart) yarn for most of them and they turned out great.  I really do like Red Heart for it's durability when making for the G kids. 

The night is getting short and I will say good night, and God bless. 
                                   
                                                  =^..^=

No comments:

Post a Comment