Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns – 2KCBWDAY1

There are yarns and then there are YARNS... this is a yarn about YARN.
I tend to gravitate towards cotton type and acrylic type yarns simply because I live in FL where even in the winter you can wear your summer clothes but your winter clothes can not be worn in the summer.  Even if you get to wear a nice heavy sweater it will only be worn once or twice that year because it just isn't needed unless you were to spend the whole time out in the elements and not inside with central heat. Therefore my reason to go for a cooler and lighter weight yarn when knitting for myself.

I will start my little yarn about the differences of 2 very simular yarns but they work up very different indeed.  Even while it is still in it's ball/skein stage it has a different look and feel.  The only difference is Nylon, one has it and the other doesn't and of course they are made by different companies.  I am speaking of Little Lehigh by Kraemer Yarns and Wildflower DK Fancy by Plymouth Yarn.

Little Lehigh by Kraemer Yarns is a DK weight of 45% cotton and 55% Acriylic.  It is soft to the touch from the get go and when finished has a wonderful feel and nice drape.  I used it in a project that I have finished off just in the past few months.



This was made from Lion Brand Microspun Leaf-Pattern Tunic, pattern number 873.  I had the Little Lehigh yarn in my stash already so used it instead of Lion Brand's suggested yarn.  I was very pleased with the outcome of this sweater and I enjoy it's softness. 

The Wildflower DK Fancy by Plymouth Yarn is also a cotton blend of 43% cotton and 53% acrylic with 4% nylon.  It is quite nice to work with but isn't quite as soft to the touch.  I have made several things from it and it works up very nice.  I made a dress for my grand daughter when she was a baby and have also made socks from it.  It works up very nice but just doesn't have that same drapey softness too it.  I may be wrong but I think it is because of the nylon that is in the mix. 



I have really enjoyed the socks I made from it they are cool and comfortable yet they have lasted better than my other socks, store or hand knit.  I am very hard on the heals of socks and have had to learn to darn in order to keep wearing them.  So far I haven't had to make any repairs at all on the Wildflower DK Fancy yarn.

As I weave the yarn end into the finished project of this tale of two yarns I have to say that I really enjoyed working with both yarns and it is like comparing apples and oranges (I love both of them also). If I have to compare them I would say that Little Lehigh by Kraemer Yarns has a softer feel and better drapability than Wildflower DK Fancy by Plymouth Yarn, sort of like Caron Simply Soft being an acrylic worsted has a softer hand than Red Heart Classic acrylic worsted.

I hope you have enjoyed this little tale and I would love to hear your opinions so please leave a comment below.


                                                         >^..^<

No comments:

Post a Comment