Search This Blog

Saturday, December 07, 2013

TIME and KNITTING NEEDLES FLYING

 Hmmmmm it's been over a year since I was last on here.  It sure doesn't seem that long but time really does fly, whether you are having fun or not!

My biggest reason for not posting for so long is my eyesight.  One of those things you really take for granted until it starts to leave you.  I have diabetic retinopathy and am visually impaired.  I do not drive anymore and really didn't think I would be able to do much knitting anymore.  However I now realize that as driving with my impaired vision would be dangerous to all, knitting wouldn't be dangerous to anyone!  So yes I am knitting again.  Most likely I will not be using small weight yarns or making a lot of complicated patterns anymore but I still enjoy the wonderful relaxing feeling of knitting with a little crochet on the side.

This week I have completed two sets of gifts, a cowl and hat set, and a scarf and hat set.

I was pleased that they worked up so fast.

The cowl and hat set (the one on the left) was from 2 different patterns.  Both were free patterns I had found online.
The cowl was from a book of free e-patterns from Knitting Daily5 Free Knitted Cowl Patterns for Women.  It is the pattern Rainbow Cowl by Lisa Shroyer.  It worked up quickly in LB Homespun #404 Lagoon.  Using the same yarn for the hat and this Yarnspirations pattern I had the set complete in 2 days.

The Cotton Lace Scarf  on the right is a Lion Brand free pattern.  The hat for the scarf set was made up by combining the scarf pattern and a hat pattern.  I would have used the scarf and hat pattern by Brooke Nelson but I had already made the scarf from the Lion Brand pattern so I just used the band part from the LB pattern and then picked up the stitches (read the pattern for full understanding) and made the crown from the Brooke Nelson pattern.  It really worked out great without any major problems at all.  I used Caron Simply Soft  in soft green #9739 for both hat and scarf.  The hat worked up in about 6 hours give or take (remember my eyesight is bad so it takes me a lot longer than it used to if there is any pattern involved) and the scarf was about 8 hours give or take.  

Now I want to try some of those fingerless mitts....hmmmm what pattern should I use......maybe this one FLIP-TOP MITTENS....or maybe one of these.....

There are SO MANY FREE patterns out there and so little time to knit them all ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment