Search This Blog

Friday, April 08, 2011

Charity Projects Done

Today I finished the last of my charity crocheting projects.  I will probably start another project later in the year but for now I will concentrate on my WIP and start to think about Christmas gifts.

I started two projects last month that I feel are very worthy causes.  One is making baby blankets for Bernat Cares, and the other is making 6X6 or 12X12 squares for On-Line Angels.  The Bernat website has info and free patterns for all different charities for you to choose from.  I chose the Project LInus Blanket Drive.  The On-Line Angels information I got from SmoothFox Crochet and Knit blog where you can also choose from 3 patterns that she will send you if you join in on the project.  Right now On-Line Angels is also having a baby booties drive.


For the Bernat Cares/Project Linus Blanket Drive, I chose to use a simple continuous granny square pattern.  I used some scraps of leftover yarn that was all acrylic and had the little blanket (approximately 36 - 38 inches) done in no time. 


Granny Square Baby Blanket

The crochet squares for On-Line Angels are also made of scrap yarn that is also all acrylic.  They request that you use only acrylic because they take all the different squares and sew them together and make blankets.  What a job that would be.  I don't know why but I have never liked sewing all the squares together. I prefer to crochet them together as I go.  I loved just making the squares though it seemed so quick.  I just picked up a hook and some yarn when I got tired of knitting and made  two or three 6X6 squares  then I would go back to knitting.   Before I knew it I had 25 squares.  They have requested the squares be sent before the end of April so tomorrow I am sending them off to their new home to be joined with all the rest of the donated squares.

6X6 squares using the #3 pattern created by SmoothFox

I will also package up the baby blanket and send it off to the Linus Project. 

I have really enjoyed making these things.  As I sit and knit or crochet I always like to know that whatever object I am making has a purpose.  In doing these projects I can rest assured that someone, somewhere, will benifit from them and hopefully will be warmed inside and out by them and their heart touched so that they may make their own contirbutions to others, in their own way. 

I hope you will leave a comment and let me know what your charity projects are.


Colossians 3:12
 
Therefore, as Gods chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
 
                                                        >^..^<

2 comments:

  1. I've been charity knitting/crocheting lately too, for a UK group who are wanting 8x8 squares to make blankets to send to Japan by Christmas-time. Your giant granny square blanket is beautiful. I'm sure that somebody would be very touched and honoured to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your granny blanket. How lucky the recipient . Charity knitting is awesome. LOVE your thoughts

    ReplyDelete