Search This Blog

Saturday, April 02, 2011

2KCBWDAY6 Day six: 2nd April. Something to aspire to

Today's topic sort of boggles my mind simply because there are so many things I would love to do and learn to do well and that is just in the realm of crafts.

There is one thing that has been wiggling around in my brain and is just about ready to pop out into the open and see the light of day.  MACHINE KNITTING!
When I was a teenager my sister lived in Japan for a few years while her husband was stationed there.  At this time in my life I was already hand knitting, tatting, sewing, and starting to crochet.  When she came back home she brought a knitting machine with her.  She could whip out a project in no time flat, and it looked as easy as if she were ironing.  I was hooked! 
Through the years I yearned to have one of my own but with bringing up 3 boys and no room to spare to set it all up, I gave that idea up.  Then a few years ago, when I was yard-sale-ing, I came across 2 knitting machines that a lady had for sale.  I instantly started drooling but knew I had only brought about $20 with me to spend that day so there was no way I could buy them.  Well I just had to ask the price anyway and was politely told that I could have the both of them for $5.  I said, uhhhhhhh, no I mean the 2 knitting machines over there against the wall (obviously the woman thought I was talking about some little trinket other than the knitting machines).  She said yep they are $5 for the both of them.  Well to make this story a little shorter, yes I immediately handed over 5 dollars and grabbed up the machines and put them in the car.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of me experimenting and learning more about them.  They are sitting in my back room waiting for me to come and play.
Gee what am I doing sitting here writing this post, my kids are grown and gone and my hubby is away for the weekend and I can drag those machines out without him groaning and rolling his eyes............ 



Singer Chunky Knitter model 150


Singer model 700
 Oh sorry, you'll have to check back to find out how I am doing with my knitting machines.  I am so inspired that I am going to go dust them off and ........oh gosh I forgot that they came with patterns too.......................

3 comments:

  1. WOW! what a steal :) I was gifted a KnitKing - used maybe half a dozen times with all of the books etc. I have pulled it out a couple of times with the hope of learning how to use it (it intrigues me), but never have had the space to leave it out, or the time to invest in figuring it out. I plan on bringing it up to Maine with me this summer (as I do get some alone time every now and then) to see if I can get it going :) Can't wait to hear how your experiences play out with yours :) thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! I'd forgotten about knitting machines. I like the actual process of knitting so I don't think it's for me. Just as well, as I don't know where I'd put one! I'm sure there must be a knitting machine group on Ravelry to lend a hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5??? What a bargain, lucky you! And yes, why are you telling us about it when you have a house empty and can use it? Have fun with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete